08 November 2010

Sometimes...Play-Doh Breaks

My heart is heavy today. No parent should have to go through what my cousins are now experiencing.

Saturday, my cousin was in an accident. Due to unfortunate events, he was accidentally strangled while playing. It was no one's fault. It was an accident. Things looked good. Like he would make it. Sadly, he did not.

When things looked good, like he would make it, a friend said to me "God makes kids out of Play-Doh so that He can fix them easily." I had hope. Because it's true. Kids bounce back from things like you would not believe. I've seen my nephews do things that if I did, I'd be out for the count. Total KO. But they just keep on going. No broken bone or scrapes. I joke that kids have bendy-bones and thus, they don't break easily.

But, Play-Doh sometimes cannot be put back together. Sometimes bendy-bones are not enough.

And so today, I was asked to say goodbye to one of the most amazing little boys I've ever met in my life. He had the most beautiful face and such a sweet spirit about him. No one should have to say goodbye to a 3 year old. Especially not their parents.

I take comfort in my faith today. My faith that teaches me that little children are innocent beings that are saved should they die because they are without sin.
Doctrine & Covenants 137:10 And I also beheld that all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven.

I take comfort in my knowledge that he is with his G.G. (Great-Grandma), Great-Grandpa, three of his cousins, and an uncle. All of whom had passed on before. And I'm sure there are others who welcomed him with open arms and warm embraces.

I take comfort knowing that I, too, will be able to see his sweet face again someday.

Today I am grateful for my faith. It gives me hope, it brings me understanding when faced with the unimaginable.

So if you have little ones, or big ones...or love anyone at all. Let them know. Today. Tomorrow may be too late.

It has been raining here all day. Yesterday it was raining in Boise. The angels were crying. I think the earth knows what she lost and is mourning that. The rain, today, is a poetic reminder of my grief.


2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love you! I will see you Friday.

Karen Ella said...

Oh Xan...I COMPLETELY understand. I know people say that, but I do. My niece passed away at 3 years old when I was in high school. You're right, no parent should have to do that. But, eventually, hopefully his parents will be able to find console in the fact that our Father In Heaven did just that. He knows EXACTLY the emotions they're experiencing. My advice: cry. Cry it all out and read that D&C verse multiple times a day if needed. And in 3 days or months or years when the tears come again (because they will), let them out. Hard to imagine now, but life does go on. And he will be on the other side, helping his parents and siblings along the path back.