14 December 2012

Updated: Broken

Today I am both happy and sad to be part of my faith. This week I have seen its best side and its worst side.

And I don't like what I saw.

My Church is founded on Christ's life and teachings, we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ,...that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins" (2 Nephi 25:25). Yet, this week some of the members of a Christ-centered Church told others that they were not righteous enough, their testimonies weren't valid, or they should just leave and never come back.

We are supposed to be "willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things" (Mosiah 18:9). 

Instead, we got accusations and fear. 

And so today, my spirit remains broken. I believe so much in the true Gospel, the one my parents worked so hard to instill in me, not through sermons, but through their actions. I believe it, I feel it's presence and power in my life, every day. But when your own fellow members look on you with derision and hate, how do you find the strength to face it again? How do you walk through the door and feel safe and home?

And that is the question I am struggling with still. 
---Update: Then there was this. 

No comments: