22 September 2009

Making BYU a Little Godless

So, my friend is in charge of helping with the LASSO conference coming up this weekend. She was given some information about the plenary speaker for a poster. She was stressed, I decided to help. I designed the poster with the given information.

She took the poster to get approval from our college. They gave it. They stamped the poster and off she went to the printer. The posters were put up. They have been taken down, and we were asked to redesign them.

Why?

The poster contained the following sentence: "God, this is so boring." Someone complained about the "inappropriate" use of 'God'. When my friend informed me of this, I said "Oh. My. God. You've got to be kidding me." I did it to be ironic. But seriously? You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me. Is someone so uptight that they can't leave scholarly work alone? I hope the plenary speaker uses that sentence and displays it in all of its blasphemous glory.

The college to which we belong told us that even thought they had approved it, they didn't really approve it. So the stamp that says they approve it means nothing.

Instead of being allowed to change the poster to read, "Gosh, this is so boring" or "G , this is so boring" or some other variant of the offensive word, we were asked to make it read "this is so boring." So I did.

Today, I made BYU a little Godless.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Oh, my bloody hell...that is like when the VP did not check his box so a teacher at my high school almost got fired for allowing gays and lesbians to speak in his class...approved but not really.